What is penile prosthesis
Penile prosthesis or penile implant is a surgical procedure for men with mixed organic-psychogenic erectile dysfunction or resistant to conventional treatment. The most common penile prosthesis (like AMS 700 or Titan OTR4) has already been used for 25 years, and now the technology is both safe and efficient.
Conventional treatments for male erectile dysfunction include:
- oral treatment with PDE5 inhibitors, such as Sildenifil (Viagra), tadalafil (Cialis) and vardenafil (Levitra);
- vacuum erection device;
- intracorporal injection therapy.
The oral medication works nearly 70% of the time. Injections into the penis (corpus cavernosum) are also used, but cause some inconvenience because they need to be applied 15 minutes before sexual intercourse and its effect lasts only 30-60 minutes. Furthermore, injections can cause pain, bleeding or infection. But if all these methods don’t work, then man with advanced erectile dysfunction could resort to a penile prosthesis implantation surgery procedure, as a more effective and reliable treatment.
Advantages of penile prosthesis
A penile prosthesis is used to restore erectile function. These devices provide the patient with the ability to engage in sexual activity without interfering with urination, ejaculation, sensation, or orgasm. Types of penile implants: non-inflatable, two-piece inflatable, three-piece (multi-component) inflatable. Some advantages of the penile prosthesis are:
- Mechanical failure is rare.
- Inflatable penile prostheses are not noticeable by using tight clothing.
- The erection can be maintained for as long as necessary without any of the possible serious complications of organic priapism.
- The sense of psychological and emotional well-being is greatly improved in most men who made penile implants.
Disadvantages of penile prosthesis
- The glans does not increase and penetration can be awkward.
- The penis may not be as firm as a natural erection.
- The penis cannot be completely flaccid depending on the prosthesis model.
- In most penile prosthesis models there is no increase in the volume of the penis.
- After surgery, there is usually 1-2 weeks moderate pain. Intercourse can be realized in 6 – 8 weeks after the operation.
- Only 80-92% patients reported about complete satisfaction with the penile implant.
- The prosthesis inflates instantly.
- There are 2-10% complication rate, mainly due to infection or device defect.
Some studies indicate, that partner satisfaction rate is only 70% or less, partly due to exaggerated expectations. Currently, surgeons recommend that both partners go through counseling before the operation on the results and expectations. Before the surgery, patients must be informed of the risks, including mechanical failure, infection, change in sensation and configuration of the penis.